The HR-OS1 is powered by an onboard Linux computer giving you all the processing power you need to run your robot. The HR-OS1 is a hackable, modular, humanoid robot development platform designed from the ground up with customization and modification in mind.
Raspberry Pi Vs Intel Edison
Your HR-OS1 kit shipped with 2 choices for the Main CPU – the Intel Edison and the Raspberry Pi. Both platforms will run the same HR-OS1 framework to control your robot. Each platform has its strong points, as outlined below.
#Intel Edison Pros
- Power Consumption The Intel Edison consumes far less power than the Raspberry Pi.
- Size Even with the breakout board, the Intel Edison is much smaller then the Raspberry Pi.
- Built in Wifi/Bluetooth The Intel Edison does not need extra dongles to add bluetooth / wifi functionality.
- Built in FTDI USB-Serial Converter You can connect the Intel Edison Mini Breakout directly to you computer to open a serial terminal to control the Edison.
- More Mature Development/Testing We have been working with the Intel Edison for much longer than the Raspberry Pi, so the framework is better tested with the Intel Edison.
#Raspberry Pi Pros
- USB Ports The Raspberry Pi has 4 available USB ports to attach devices to.
- SD Card Slot The Raspberry Pi’s SD based storage makes it possible to upgrade your disk size. Each HR-OS1 kit ships with an 8GB SD card, compared to the Edison’s built in 4gb eMMC storage.
- Easy access GPIO pins The Raspberry Pi has 3.3v I/O pins that are easily accessible through the male pin headers. The Intel Edison has 1.8v pins.
- Standard Ports HDMI, ethernet, composite video, and audio ports
- **Special Ports ** Camera and display interface ports
- 3d Graphics core
- Superior processor